Sunday, February 4, 2018

January 2018 Books Read

Every year I say I am going to read at least 60 books, sometimes I get close, sometimes I do not.  This year with a summer sabbatical, a book project and a mind that will not cease seeking answers to interesting questions...I think I'm gonna make it to 60, maybe even blow past it.  But this is what happens: I read a backpack full every winter month then as soon as the weather warms up I stop reading.

But this year...

1.  The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to Be Complicated by Helaine Olena and Harold Pollack.  (This book makes an appearance in chapter 2 of the bikeable parish).

2.  Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin.  Reading Scottish detective novels in preparation for our time in Scotland, but it also makes me think we'll have to step over piles of bodies in Edinburgh.

3.  The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers: Spiritual Insights from teh World's Most Beloved Neighbor by Amy Hollingsworth.  This book initiated my Mr. Rogers journey.  Also where I learned Mr. Rogers and Henri Nouwen were friends, of course they were.

4.  March: Volume Three by John Lewis.  Amazing.

5.  Book of Acts by Theophilus. Yes, I count books of the Bible.  Acts also makes an appearance in chapter 2.  I forgot how much I love this book.

6.  Why the Dutch Are Different: a journey into the hidden heart of the Netherlands by Ben Coates.  Good book, interesting but I dont think I would have read it unless dude from Modacity (twitter city planning + biking dude) had recommended it.

7.  I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Mr. Rogers by Tim Madigan.  Great book, I cried often while reading it.  Mr. Rogers was an amazing dude.

8.  Be My Neighbor with Words of Wisdom from Fred Rogers by Maya Ajmera and John D. Ivanhoe Mr. Rogers + public transit + bicycles and neighboring, what's not to love? And yes, I count kids books too!

9.  A Month in the Country by Joseph Lloyd Barr.  CBC Radio had a story about a playwright who reads this book every January.  Although one can read this book in one setting it took me a few days. Why?  Lots of English phrases and words that were new to me.  A WWI veteran goes to an English village to uncover a painting in an Anglican Church.  The longer he stays in the village the more he heals.  I'll reread it again in January 2019.

10.  The World According to Mr. Rogers: Important Things to Remember by Fred Rogers.  Quotes, amazing and beautiful quotes.  I read the book too quick.  I need to savor the quotes.

11.  Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace, and Healing by Emmanuel Katongole and Chris Rice.  This was the selection for a book study for a pastors group.  This book was worth it for me because it focused on the small and slow work of reconciliation and its relation to the larger work of reconciliation.


No comments:

Post a Comment